Hyperpigmentation, although a harmless skin condition, can be bothersome for some people, especially for women. It might cause you to lose self-confidence. With the right cream, your skin will appear flawless and the color will appear more even. It can make the skin look young and glowing while also providing a layer of protection from the external elements that can be damaging.
If you are clueless about the best product to pick for the treatment of pigmentation, we got you covered in the rest of this guide. We have pooled a list of some of the top brands and models that should be part of your list, including some of the things that you should know about hyperpigmentation, such as its causes and other available treatments.
Our Top Picks Lightening Cream for Hyperpigmentation
Here are some of the products that should make it on your list as well as some of the reasons why they are well-received.
Meladerm Skin Lightening/Whitening Cream for Hyperpigmentation
Even if you read other online buying guides for the best hyperpigmentation creams, you will see that this is one product that is often given words of praises. The high rating is a proof that it can indeed deliver what it promises to do.
The natural formulation of this cream is one of its best assets, unlike others that contain toxic chemicals. These chemicals can cause serious side effects, which is why you have to avoid them. It does not contain steroids and parabens, which is why it is good even if you have a sensitive skin.
The main active ingredients that you can find in the product are alpha arbutin, Tego Cosmo C, kojic acid, and Gigawhite. It also has licorice extract, bearberry extract, and mulberry extract. These ingredients work together to deliver a powerful whitening action to fight hyperpigmentation.
Lily Ana Naturals Face Cream
This is a skin whitening cream that does more than just the treatment of hyperpigmentation. It has an extensive formulation that allows it to deliver a number of skin health benefits. It also helps in getting rid of crow’s feet, wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots. It works without clogging the pores!
The manufacturer carefully selected the ingredients used in this cream to make it effective. It contains aloe vera, rose distillate, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and orange extracts. There are also essential oils that help to make the skin radiant and young. There are no artificial colors, artificial fragrances, and parabens that could possibly lead to adverse effects.
The manufacturer is also offering a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. You will have one month to try the product and you will be given an unconditional refund if you are unhappy with its use.
Insta Natural Retinol Moisturizer Anti-Aging Cream
Retinol, green tea, and Vitamin C are the main ingredients of this powerful skin whitening cream. More than just the treatment of hyperpigmentation, it has also proven to be a good choice for wrinkles and fine lines. If you are worried that the signs of aging will be visible on the face, this cream offers the perfect solution.
The manufacturer guarantees that their products have not been tested on animals. Also, they do not contain synthetic dyes, formaldehyde releasers, sulfates, mineral oils, and parabens, among other ingredients that could be toxic to the skin.
L’Oreal Paris Youth Code Dark Spot Corrector Facial Day Cream
This is made by a cosmetic brand that is trusted all over the world, which can already make you confident that it is indeed an effective choice for skin whitening creams without side effects. One of the things that we loved about this product is how it comes with SPF 30, which will offer protection from the harsh UVA and UVB rays.
The rich and hydrating formula of this cream allows it to brighten the dark pigments on the face. Some of the main ingredients of the cream include avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, and chestnut seed extract.
Olay Luminous Tone Perfecting Cream
Similar to the product that has been mentioned above, this is also made by a brand of beauty products that you can definitely trust. This skin brightening facial moisturizer is infused with antioxidants, which work to make the skin tone bright and even. It penetrates deep into the skin to ensure the best outcomes. As the manufacturer claims, you need to use it for about eight weeks to start seeing the results.
Regardless of your skin tone, this lightening cream will work. It is also non-greasy and can be absorbed by the skin quickly. There is a light scent, but it won’t irritate the nose.
Body Merry Face Moisturizer Cream
For skin lightening and rejuvenation, especially if you have hyperpigmentation, this is another product that will work. Other benefits of using this skin lightening cream include fighting acne, age spots, and wrinkles.
It is infused with Vitamin C, which is also one of the reasons of its effectiveness. It is rich in antioxidants, which will help in combatting skin aging. It also has Vitamin B3, CoQ10, organic shea butter, clementine essential oil, organic sunflower oil, organic aloe, and botanical hyaluronic acid. The combination of these ingredients provides the nourishment and the hydration that the skin needs to have a natural glow.
Kiss Red E Anti-aging Whitening Cream
A lot of skincare products for the treatment of pigmentation may contain harsh chemicals that could actually do more harm than good. This is unlike many others since it has a wholesome, organic, and vegan formulation. Its ingredients are safe even for people with sensitive skin.
With the use of this creamy and rich moisturizer, you will have a more balanced skin tone as it gets rid of the dark pigments. According to the manufacturer, you have to use it for about six to eight weeks to enjoy maximum effectiveness.
Esoterica Fade Cream Nighttime with Moisturizers
Take note that this is a cream that is meant to be used for nighttime only when you are about to go to sleep. It has a light and non-greasy formulation, which means that your skin won’t feel sticky when you are sleeping.
This is a cream that you can use not only for the face, but even for the other parts of the body, such as legs, neck, hands, and shoulders. It also has a moisturizing effect, which will make the skin look younger.
Pond’s Correcting Cream, Clarant B3
If you are on the lookout for the best skin lightening products, this is another option that you should never ignore. The main ingredient that makes this effective against hyperpigmentation is Vitamin B3. It provides a moisturizing effect, especially for people who have normal to dry skin. The appearance of dark spots can be significantly reduced within the first four weeks of the use of this product.
Another good thing that you can expect in this product is that it works without clogging the pores. This allows the skin to breathe.
Admire My Skin Ultra-Potent Fade Cream
As you search for the best dark spot treatment cream, this is one product that you would often encounter. It contains 2% hydroquinone, which is one of the secrets of its effectiveness. This is the one that helps in the brightening of the dark spots. The hydroquinone concentration in this cream is the highest amount that is allowed by law for non-prescription creams.
Other ingredients used in this product include Kojic acid, salicylic acid, Vitamin C, and lactic acid.
According to the manufacturer, visible lightening of the skin will be evident within the first four weeks of its use. Based on the directions, you can apply the cream once or twice in a day.
Skin Lightening Cream by EVA Naturals
This is another product that is promising in terms of being able to lighten your dark spots. The secret lies in the powerful ingredients that are used. Among others, one of the most important is Kojic acid, which is known as a supercharged whitening ingredient. Bearberry and licorice are also present to make it more effective in treating discoloration and pigmentation.
Coconut oil and a blend of B vitamins are also used in this product. They are the ones that are responsible for locking in moisture to prevent the dryness of the skin. There is also CoQ10, which boosts the production of collagen and Vitamin E. It offers protection from the skin damages that can be caused by free radicals.
This skincare product is not only nourishing, but it is also lightweight. This is unlike other creams that can feel sticky, especially when you sweat during a hot day.
What is Hyperpigmentation?
Now that we have talked about some of the best products that you have to include on your list, the next section will tackle the other things that you need to know about hyperpigmentation.
Simply put, hyperpigmentation refers to a condition wherein skin patches become darker compared to the rest of the face or body. When the skin is exposed to the sun, these dark spots will become more noticeable. The skin becomes light brown to black, depending on the natural color. The spots can vary in shape and size.
Types of Hyperpigmentation
It is important that you are aware of the different types of hyperpigmentation to know the causes and the best courses of action that are possible.
- Freckles: These are dark spots that are often light to dark brown. In some cases, they can also be red or black. They are flat and small and often caused by sun exposure. They are often found on the face, shoulders, chest, and nose.
- Melasma: These are dark spots of skin that often appear as a result of hormonal changes. The color is light to medium brown, which you will see on sides of the face, upper nose, and cheeks. This is common for people who are pregnant or those who are taking birth control pills. The condition is exacerbated by sun exposure.
- Liver Spots: Also known as sunspots, the color is light to dark brown. It often appears on the face, hands, and chest. As the name implies, they are caused by prolonged exposure to the extreme heat of the sun. The skin can also be crinkly, especially for older individuals.
- Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation: These dark spots often appear after an acne breakout. The spots are often red or brown. The main difference from acne scars is that pigmentation is not depressed or pitted. When you touch the dark spots, the skin is still smooth but the discoloration is noticeable.
Is Hyperpigmentation Harmful?
Luckily, according to the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology, hyperpigmentation is harmless. You can leave it untreated. However, most people opt to find the suitable treatment because of its unattractive appearance. This can make the skin unappealing and for most people, this could be a reason to lose self-confidence.
What are the Causes of Skin Pigmentation?
In understanding skin pigmentation, one of the most important is that you learn about the root causes, which include the following:
- Sun Exposure: This is the leading cause of hyperpigmentation. If you are exposed to the heat of the sun for an extended period, the melanin production can be affected, and hence, there are some parts of the skin, especially of the face, that will be darker than the rest. The UV rays of the sun can cause an inflammatory response, which can lead to hyperpigmentation.
- Natural Aging: As you grow older, new skin cells produce at a slower rate. This means any pigmentation accumulated over the years also have a tougher time shedding off. You can combat this by using a good anti-aging cream
- Skin Damage: Skin wounds, pimples, acne, and psoriasis, among other forms of skin damages, can also be causes of hyperpigmentation. When the damage starts to heal, the tendency is that the skin surrounding it will suffer from inflammation, and this is when the dark spots may start to develop.
- Allergies: If you often suffer from skin allergies, such can also be the culprit for hyperpigmentation. When your body absorbs something that you are allergic to, the skin will exhibit an inflammatory reaction. One of the consequences of such would be the dark spots.
- Medications: Medicines can also cause hyperpigmentation, especially if they contain ingredients at which you are allergic with. It can also cause hormonal changes that will trigger the discoloration.
- Hair Removal: This will be true in case the hair has not been removed properly. If you often shave or thread, make sure that it is done properly so as not to damage the skin, which can be a precursor of darkening.
- Genetics: Hyperpigmentation runs in the blood. If there is someone from the family who is suffering from such a condition, you might also have the same fate. However, there are many instances wherein it can skip generations.
- Hormonal Changes: For women who are pregnant or taking birth control pills, there is a high risk of suffering from hyperpigmentation, which is one of the side effects of having increased levels of progesterone and estrogen.
What are the Treatment Options for Hyperpigmentation?
The use of a whitening cream for face and body is just one of the solutions that can be taken into account. Other than these, there are also other treatments that can be promising, including those that are briefly mentioned below:
- Microdermabrasion: This is one of the most popular dermatological solutions that you might want to consider. During the procedure, the skin’s uppermost layer will be gently removed, which will get rid of the discoloration. Anti-pigment ingredients can also be infused on the skin, which will be effective in providing more brightness.
- Intense Pulsed Light: Also known as IPL, this is another popular dermatological procedure when it comes to the treatment of hyperpigmentation. It uses light-based pulses that will lift the skin to treat the dark spots.
- Fractional Laser Resurfacing: Your dermatologist might recommend this treatment option when the case of discoloration is severe. Microinjuries will be inflicted on the skin, which will encourage the growth of a new layer that will mask the pigmentation.
- Chemical Peel: A lot of people are afraid to use chemicals on their skin because of the fear of side effects. To banish discoloration, some of the chemicals that are often used include glycolic acid and salicylic acid. They are potent and can penetrate even deeper pigments. However, one of the potential drawbacks is that it can lead to scarring.
Treat Hyperpigmentation Naturally
There are also natural home remedies that can prove to be equally effective when it comes to treating hyperpigmentation. They are not only safe, but they are eco-friendly and cheap, which is why you should not be afraid to give it a shot.
- Lemon: The citric acid in lemon is basically the one that is responsible for delivering skin lightening benefits. Its juice will be a good natural bleach. All that you have to do is to press the fruit to extract juice, dip a cotton ball, and apply it to the area with discoloration.
- Raw Potato: For a long time now, a raw potato has quite a reputation when it comes to lightening pigmentations without the need to use a skin bleaching cream. Peel the potato, slice, put a drop of water, and apply it directly on the portion of the skin that you intend to treat.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: The skin lightening and astringent properties of apple cider vinegar will make it another promising solution for the natural treatment of hyperpigmentation. Mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar. Wipe it on the face, let it sit for quite a while, and rinse.
- Aloe Vera: This is another ingredient with a long history of use for natural skincare, even for hyperpigmentation. The gel contains mucilaginous polysaccharides, which can help in the removal of dead skin cells and their rejuvenation. Apply fresh gel on the dark skin before you go to sleep.
- Avocados: They are not only delicious, but they are also great for fighting hyperpigmentation. This can be attributed to the presence of fatty acids, oleic acids, and Vitamin C. Simply mash a ripe avocado to form a paste. Apply it directly to the face, leave it for a while, and rinse.
Prevention is Better Than Cure
Here are some of the best preventive measures to avoid having a serious case of dark spots:
- Avoid exposure to the heat of the sun, especially from 10 am to 3 pm. If you are going out, make sure to wear sunscreen, even when the sun is not at its peak.
- Stay hydrated. You might end up being surprised with how regular consumption of water can promote the health of your skin.
- Avoid picking and scratching the face, even when it is itchy. These can cause damages that could worsen and become hyperpigmentation.
- Be careful about the other products that you use for the skin, such as soaps, cleansers, and makeups. Make sure that they are made of natural ingredients that won’t deliver adverse effects.
How to choose the right product
There are countless options that are available. Manufacturers will try to make aggressive claims with regards to how their products are superior to others. Nonetheless, you should not just believe what they are saying. To make it easier to evaluate the possibilities, these are some of the most important things you need to take into account:
- Reviews: A good starting point would be the feedback from other people, often expressed in the form of online reviews. You can use their real-life experiences to determine which products are good and which ones have false promises.
- Ingredients: You also have to take a look at the label and research the ingredients that are used. As much as possible, look for one that comes with natural ingredients, which will minimize the likelihood of skin irritation and other skin problems.
- Skin Type: Your specific skin type will also determine the product that will work best for your needs. While there are creams that will work for all skin types, there are some that are formulated specifically for people with normal, dry, or sensitive skin.
- Money-back Guarantee: In the case of some manufacturers, you can try the product risk-free, such as for one month. After this period, if you are unhappy with how it performs, you can return the product to the manufacturer and you will be issued an unconditional refund.
In sum, the skin lightening cream for hyperpigmentation can work like magic. It will help to correct the dark spots and improve the skin tone. You will end up with a fairer complexion and a more hydrated skin. It is also effective in fighting skin aging and protecting the skin from external elements. All of these benefits, however, will only be apparent if you pick the right product.