Rosacea refers to a skin condition that leads to the appearance of acne, redness, bumps, and flushes. It can be painful and uncomfortable. It also makes the skin dry and flaky. Those who are burdened with this skin problem will have a face that could be as red as a tomato. This is frustrating, especially once you have tried all solutions you can think of, but none proves to be effective.
If you have rosacea, there is hope for you! Don’t let it get the better of you. Don’t lose confidence. You can address the problem without resorting to expensive treatments from skincare professionals. Even at home, you can enjoy an effective treatment in the form of moisturizers for rosacea.
Our team spent hours of research to find the best moisturizers that work for rosacea. We looked at their ingredients and read reviews from other users to provide useful recommendations. Read on as we list down some of the top products to consider and as we share some of the important things that you have to know about rosacea.
What is Rosacea?
Most of you would know rosacea as a condition of the skin that leads to redness. Yes, it is true, but there is more to it than just making the skin turn red. To be more technical, rosacea is a chronic and inflammatory condition that is marked by the development of facial pustules. It affects the central third of the face, which would especially be evident on and around the nose. It is an acne-like condition that affects approximately 45 million people around the world.
A flushed or red skin is the most common symptom. You might mistaken it for a sunburn. For others, it will look like allergies, such as with seafood and alcohol, among other triggers. It can also cause patches of dry and flaky skin. Your nose can appear swollen and the eyelids will have broken blood vessels. You may also have a hard time seeing and the face will feel itchy.
Our Top Picks for the Best Moisturizers for Rosacea
For the best rosacea relief, these are some of the best moisturizers that should be on your radar.
Lily Ana Natural Face Cream
This face cream and moisturizer works beyond the treatment of rosacea. As per the label, you can also use it to address other skin problems, such as wrinkles, crow’s feet, and dry patches.
Similar to the other products that are mentioned in this post, the effectiveness can also be attributed to the ingredients that are used, which include Vitamin C, Vitamin E, aloe vera, rose distillate, and orange extracts. It is also combined with a variety of essential oils that are known for improving the health of the skin.
This non-greasy moisturizer will work best for all skin types, even if you have sensitive skin. Its formulation can be easily absorbed by the skin and won’t cause clogs in the pores.
La Roche-Posay Toleriane Ultra Face Moisturizer
If you have sensitive skin with rosacea, this is another product that will work best for you. It uses a special thermal spring water, which is one of the secrets behind its effectiveness. It also has shea butter to provide a soothing effect to the skin. The ingredients used are limited and were rigorously tested to be sure that they will work even for sensitive skin.
It is also worth noting that it is free of preservatives, fragrances, and parabens. It is as pure as it can be, which is also the reason why it is hypoallergenic.
This is also non-comedogenic, which simply means that it will deliver effective results without clogging the pores.
Era Organics Redness Relief Treatment Cream
For your daily relief from redness, this is another moisturizer that should be part of your list of choices. It calms and smoothens the skin, making it free of rosacea. If you are unhappy with the results of using the product, just let the manufacturer know and they will issue an unconditional refund.
Some of the main ingredients that are used in this product include avocado oil, aloe vera, cocoa butter, chamomile and milk thistle. They are naturally-sourced, which can provide you with the confidence that they are non-toxic, unlike harsh chemicals that can deliver adverse effects.
Aside from the treatment of rosacea, this product is also effective in boosting the production of collagen, reduction of blemishes, prevention of premature skin aging, and elimination of wrinkles and fine lines, among others.
CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion
One of the best things about this product is that it is not only for the face but for the whole body as well. It provides the skin with 24-hour hydration to prevent redness and itchiness, among other common symptoms of rosacea.
This moisturizing lotion contains hyaluronic acid, which is basically the one that is responsible for keeping the moisture of the skin day and night.
With the lightweight and oil-free formulation of this product, it won’t end up clogging the pores. You won’t feel sticky as well, even when you use it during the summer months.
Lastly, the lotion comes with MVE controlled-release technology, an innovation that has been developed exclusively by the manufacturer. It will slowly release ceramides and will keep the skin looking at its best round the clock.
Miravage Facial Redness and Rosacea Relief Cream
With the use of this product, you can enjoy effective repair and relief for the skin. It deeply moisturizes to bring back the skin to life and get rid of the impurities that are present. More importantly, this also works as an anti-aging product.
This product contains patented active ingredients that have been thoroughly tested to prove their effectiveness. There are no toxic chemicals and irritants, which is why you can expect that it will work without causing side effects.
Not happy with the results of using this moisturizer? Your money won’t go to waste. just let the manufacturer know that you are dissatisfied and they will issue an unconditional refund.
Eucerin Sensitive Skin Redness Relief Soothing Night Crème
This is a product that is clinically proven to reduce redness of the skin in about four weeks. The healing power is attributed to an ingredient called Licochalcone, which is basically derived from licorice extract. It is in a unique gel formulation, unlike most of the moisturizers that exist in the form of cream or lotion.
Eucerin is a brand that has been on the market for more than one hundred years, which is why you can be confident that it will indeed work.
Dermalogica Barrier Repair Moisturizer
This is a velvety moisturizer that comes with a unique formulation to work effectively even when you have sensitive skin. It is anhydrous, which means that it does not contain water. More than being able to repair the damage that is already apparent, this provides a protective barrier on the skin to prevent the condition from getting worse.
It has Ultra Calming Complex. This is an innovative component that contains botanical actives and oats, which will interrupt the main causes of inflammation to keep the skin looking at its best. It also contains primrose and borage seed oils, which will help in providing relief from irritation and redness, common amongst people who have rosacea.
Luxury Organic Dry Skin Repair Cream and Natural Facial Moisturizer
With a special formulation for the treatment of psoriasis and rosacea, this is another product that should be part of your list. The effectiveness of this product lies on the fact that it uses natural ingredients, which include aloe vera, coconut oil, cocoa seed butter, hemp seed oil, olive oil, shea butter, and blue-green algae extract.
This is also vegan-friendly, gluten-free, and paraben-free. You can be sure that it does not contain toxic chemicals that can do more harm than good to the skin.
Honeyskin Organics Aloe Vera + Manuka Honey Face and Body Cream
Although the name of the product says that it is a face and body cream, this delivers a moisturizing effect, which will make it highly-effective in providing relief from rosacea. It is an organic cream that uses the best ingredients available.
One of the secrets of this moisturizing cream is aloe vera, which is known for soothing skin that suffers from redness and irritation, which are common symptoms of rosacea. Manuka honey is another reason for its effectiveness. It is a medical-grade botanical that is known for its anti-inflammatory benefits.
Aside from its ingredients, this is also a good choice because of its non-greasy formulation, making it easy to apply. Even on a hot day and when you sweat a lot, you won’t feel sticky.
Lastly, the manufacturer is also offering a money-back guarantee, which will provide an assurance of your highest level of satisfaction.
Wild Naturals Face Cream Moisturizer
This is an 86% organic facial moisturizer that contains effective ingredients for the treatment of rosacea, which include cocoa butter, coconut oil, aloe vera, and honey. They help to soothe inflammation and restore the health of the skin.
With a pH level of 5.5, this product comes with a light and non-greasy formula, which makes it easy to apply. Also, this makes sure that you will stay comfortable since it is non-sticky. It is not going to leave any residue on the skin.
What are the Different Types of Rosacea?
As you try to have a better understanding of rosacea, it is also good to know that there are different types, which include the following:
- Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea: This can cause flushing, redness, and the appearance of visible blood vessels.
- Papulopustular Rosacea: People with this condition will show swollen and red skin with acne breakouts.
- Phymatous Rosacea: This will cause the skin to appear thicker and there will be bumps that are visible on the surface.
- Ocular Rosacea: More than the skin, it affects the eyes, making the latter irritated and red. The eyelids will also appear swollen.
- Steroid Rosacea: This is a type of rosacea that will appear as a side effect of taking steroids, specifically corticosteroids.
What are the Causes of Rosacea?
To learn how to effectively deal with rosacea, the first step is to understand its causes, which will include the following:
- Genes: More often than not, rosacea is a genetic condition. If it runs in the family, you have a good reason to believe that your genes are the culprit.
- Diet: It is also important that you watch out what you eat. There are certain foods that can trigger rosacea, such as spicy food. Drinking alcoholic beverages is another leading cause.
- Bacteria: To be specific, it can be caused by a bacterium known as H. pylori, which lives in the gut. It increases the production of gastrin, a digestive hormone that causes the skin to look flushed.
- Sun Exposure: This is one thing that can exacerbate the condition, especially for people who have sensitive skin.
Tips for People with Rosacea
The use of the best moisturizers for rosacea is just the tip of the iceberg. There are other things that can be done to effectively deal with this condition, such as the following:
- The first thing that you have to do is to know the triggers of rosacea, which can include smoking and alcohol consumption. This will give you knowledge on what you have to avoid the flushed appearance of the skin.
- Always cleanse your face, preferably twice in a day. Be careful about the facial care products that you are using. It is better to opt for those that are made using natural ingredients that are suitable for sensitive skin.
- Avoid exposure to the extreme heat of the sun as it can make rosacea worse. Always wear sunscreen. Even if it is cloudy, a sunscreen is a must.
- When shopping for skincare products, some of the ingredients that you should avoid include parabens, fragrances, alcohol, menthol, lactic acid, glycolic acid, urea, and sodium lauryl sulfate. Stay away from those ingredients that can cause skin dryness.
- Before you use any skincare product, you need to test them first on a small portion of the hand. If it becomes red, itchy, or swollen, do not use it on the face.
- When you are in the shower, see to it that the water is only warm and not hot. The high temperature of the water may be comfortable when it is cold, but it dries out the skin and can make rosacea worse.
- As much as possible, do not scrub the skin. Stay away from harsh exfoliants, even loafers. Instead, use a soft cloth and be gentle when you are wiping the face.
- You also have to be careful with the makeup that you are using. It is recommended that you opt for mineral-based cosmetics. They will add moisture to the skin while providing a protective barrier against elements that could worsen rosacea. It is also free from preservatives that can cause skin irritation.
- If you have tried almost every solution that you can think of and none proved to be effective, the best thing that you can do is to consult with a dermatologist.
With the products that have been mentioned above, rosacea should be a thing of the past! Try the best moisturizers for rosacea that have been mentioned above and see why it is trusted by many people! They can effectively provide relief from the symptoms of rosacea, bringing back your confidence and making you look at your best!