A cushion foundation is a game-changer in the world of cosmetics! It is one of the latest beauty trends that you should be aware of! It started in Asia but is now sold all over the world. In fact, one of the most popular makers of a cushion foundation claims that they sell one every six seconds! No wonder, it is a beauty must-have!
Like other cosmetic products, however, not all cushion foundations are created the same. If you are buying one, it is important to pick a product that is made specifically for your skin type. With this, if you have a combination skin type, keep on reading and we’ll let you know some of the top products that should be on your radar.
What Exactly is a Cushion Foundation?
Basically, a cushion foundation refers to a liquid formula that is housed in a compact case. Traditionally, liquid foundations come in the form of tube or bottles, which will make the application quite tricky. Since it is in a compact and there is a cushion, using it will be a lot easier.
Aside from ease of use, another benefit of a cushion foundation is its airiness. The liquid consistency is retained and it is also light and airy. This improves the texture of the foundation upon application.
To add, cushion foundations are more than just makeups. They can be a part of your skincare routine. This is probably because it is from South Korea, a country that is known for taking cosmetics to the next level. It also moisturizes and nourishes the skin. Plus, many of these products contain ingredients that can deliver anti-aging benefits.
Why Choose One for Combination Skin
Now, let us talk about combination skin. Simply put, it means that there are some parts of the skin that are oily while there are some that are dry. Often, the oily areas are on the middle of the forehead and around the nose. Meanwhile, the parts of the skin that are dry are around the jaw and the cheeks.
Choosing a cushion foundation that is made specifically for combination skin can be a challenge. Most manufacturers will not indicate on the label that it is made for such a skin type. It would be best to choose those that do not contain harsh ingredients that could irritate the skin. A lightweight formula will also be great to prevent oiliness.
Our Top Picks for Cushion Foundations for Combination Skin
Picking a cushion foundation that can nix dryness and shine can be a hard task. This is exactly the reason why we are here. Below are the top products that are worth considering.
Loreal Paris True Match Lumi Cushion Foundation
This is a cushion foundation made by one of the most trusted cosmetic brands in the world, which should be enough to convince you to have it chosen over others. It gives the skin a luminous finish to look fresher even during a stressful day. The best thing about this cushion foundation is that there are 16 shades that are true to the color of the skin, so it won’t seem like you are wearing any makeup at all. It has Precise Match Technology, which allows it to match your skin tone.
Maybelline Dream Cushion Liquid Foundation
Liquid foundation reinvented – this is how Maybelline markets this product. Indeed, it is an innovation in the world of makeups, especially for people on the go. It is formulated for all skin types, so there is no need to worry even if you have a combination skin. It provides luminous coverage to make you look more glowing. It has a unique applicator that is gentle on the skin while making sure that it provides full-face coverage. Users of this cushion foundation were also happy over the fact that it has increased color pigments for your face to look fresher.
MISSHA M Magic Cushion SPF50+
Quick and easy – this is what you can expect with the application of this cushion foundation to make the skin look more flawless. More than being lightweight, it also protects the skin from the heat of the sun, making it not only a makeup must-have but also a skincare essential. It is made of smooth silica powder that can be effective in the absorption of sweat and oil without causing a dark appearance. More so, it has bamboo water and baobab tea tree extracts, which can provide moisture to the dry areas of the face.
Troiareuke A+ Cushion Foundation
Made specifically for people with combination and oily skin, it effectively controls the production of oil on the T-zone of the face. It is made for superior oil control while also addressing the dry areas. This cushion foundation will also work for those who have a problem with acne. It also has SPF 50+ for exceptional sun protection. Meanwhile, you can also expect it to be great when it comes to brightening the skin and reducing the appearance of wrinkles. Its color is natural beige, which makes you look light and fresh.
Labiotte Ami-Gom Classic Made Fitting Cushion Foundation
This product is already filled with 15 grams of liquid foundation, and as a bonus, there is also a free refill included. It offers high UV protection as it has SPF 50. As the manufacturer claims, it makes the skin look fresher for up to 25 hours. Another excellent reason to choose this product is the Ami-Gom air pocket puff, an exclusive technology that has been developed by the company, providing an assurance of full coverage. Lastly, it contains 98% pure juniper berry water, which is effective in improving the elasticity of the skin and in minimizing pores.
Hera UV Mist Cushion Cover
If you have a combination skin, this is another cushion foundation that can work perfectly for your needs as it is made for all skin types. With SPF 50, it is also effective in protecting the face from the heat of the sun. It also fights wrinkles, making it great when it comes to anti-aging. Meanwhile, with its lightweight formula, it can glide effortlessly on the skin while also making you stay fresher throughout the day. Plus, a refill is included with every purchase, making it provide excellent value for the money!
PERIPERA Inklasting Cushion Foundation
Get smooth, pinkish, and flawless skin with every application of this cushion foundation. It is gentle on the skin, unlike other foundations that can feel greasy and heavy, especially during a hot day. It comes with a fixative polymer that is thin and long-lasting, providing an assurance that you will look fresher for hours. The polymer also allows the foundation to moisturize the skin, especially the areas of the face that appear dry. As for the ingredients, it uses natural components, which include peach, five-flavor berry, and pink flower complex, among others.
Nakeup Face Coverking Powder Cushion
This will perform a better job in covering the face and making you look more flawless compared to concealers. It has a three-layer covering system, which can be done with just a single application. It helps to hide pores and blemishes, among other skin imperfections. It has a matte finish and an oil-absorbing formula, which will be effective in controlling sebum in the T-zone. More so, it can also effectively hydrate the parts of the face that are dry. It provides up to 19 hours of coverage on the face. Lastly, it uses a variety of natural ingredients, which include cherry blossom water.
Wet ‘n Wild Mega Cushion Foundation
The company makes a bold claim that can easily convince buyers to have it chosen over others – it is the #1 cushion foundation in America. It is airtight and provides no-mess application like the other cushion foundations that you can find on the market. Among others, one of the best features of this cushion foundation is the fact that it contains coconut derivate, which is the one responsible for providing a lightweight but luminous finish. It also improves the hydration of the skin while also providing sun protection as it has SPF 15.
Sulwhasoo Perfecting Cushion Brightening SPF50+
Do not let your skin imperfections affect your self-confidence. With the full coverage that this cushion foundation can provide, you can effectively conceal pores and makes the skin look more flawless. This can be attributed to the use of the best ingredients that are available. It uses Korean herbs that are mixed with apricot seeds to provide a radiant glow to your combination skin. It also has film-fixing polymer, which will allow the foundation to stay on the skin for up to 12 hours, effectively fighting oil and dirt.
The Right Way to Apply a Cushion Foundation
It is not enough that you pick a top-rated cushion foundation that will be effective for combination skin. To look more beautiful and fresher, it is important that you know about its proper application.
- Prepare the skin for the application of the foundation. If you are at home, wash your face first. If you are outside, you can use wet wipes to get rid of dirt and oil. Applying a primer will also help. Nonetheless, since this is an on-the-go product, you can actually just apply it straight to the face.
- Gently press the applicator on the foundation cushion. One to two presses will be enough. Do not saturate the applicator with the foundation.
- Apply on the skin. Do not just tap it. Instead, make smooth and small strokes, especially on the chin, cheeks, nose, and forehead. Do not tap too hard and do not swipe. Blend until you achieve the coverage that is desired.
- While using a cushion foundation is more than enough, do not be afraid to blend it with a concealer and other makeup products that will add color to your face.
Hacks You Should Know
Aside from the steps in using a cushion foundation, you should also know some useful hacks, including those that will be mentioned below.
- Do not be afraid to mix two cushions to find the shade that will work best for your skin tone. Cut the cushion into half and mix to find the right shade. This is especially the case for Westerners as most of the cushion foundations are made for Asians.
- After applying the cushion foundation, you might also want to use loose powder. This will improve the hold of the makeup and will also be effective in controlling the oil. Choose a powder with a natural glow.
- If you want to achieve a dewy look that will make you like a Korean superstar, pat the applicator on the skin and do not swipe. Pat gently but make sure that the coverage is right. A light tapping motion will make the skin look naturally glowing. On the other hand, a dabbing motion will be effective if you want to have a semi-matte finish.
- Do not push too hard on the cushion as it will have an effect on the amount of the foundation that it will be able to pick up. The more foundation is picked up, the heavier it will look. If you want a natural and glowing finish, keep it light.
- Misting will help to hydrate the parts of the skin that are dry. Spray a mist on the dry part of the face before pressing the applicator.
- You can also use your cushion foundation as a bronzer and highlighter. If you want to achieve a contour, choose a cushion foundation that is a shade darker than your skin tone. A shade that is lighter than your skin tone, on the other hand, will work to highlight areas around the nose and eyes.
- Keep the cushion clean. Every once in a while, you should wash it. Put a few drops of cleansing oil on the cushion and squeeze. Wash with a normal hand soap and rinse. Using a face wash or a baby shampoo also works. Make sure that it is completely dry before using.
In sum, if you have combination skin, choose one of the cushion foundations that have been mentioned above. They are easy to carry and will make your skin look better almost in an instant. It is a must for any makeup lover!