Aloe vera is considered one of the classics when it comes to skin care. It is an ingredient that has been popular since the ancient times, and today, it is incorporated in a number of beauty products. Whether it is for relief from the scorching heat of the sun, fighting the visible signs of aging, or healing acne, among others, it can be useful in more ways than one.
If you are looking for the best aloe vera products that can be used as a part of your skincare routine, keep on reading and we’ll share with you some of the best products worth taking into account. Regardless of your skin type, these products will be great for addressing a number of skin problems. Harness the power of aloe vera for a radiant and youthful skin!
What is Aloe Vera?
Wonder plant- this is just one of the many nicknames of aloe vera. It is a succulent and erect plant that comes from the Aloe genus, which has more than 500 species. Many of the species of aloe plants are from North Africa. It is cultivated around the world and used in different ways, such as food, supplements, herbal remedies, and of course, as a skincare product.
It has been used for centuries and revered for its medicinal value. In fact, it is said that its history can be traced in ancient Egypt where it has been used for more than 6,000 years already. Aloe has been depicted in century-old stone carvings.
Why Aloe Vera for Skin Care?
Aloe produces latex and gel. The gel is extracted directly from the leaf, which is a clear and jelly-like substance. Latex, on the other hand, is generated from the skin of the plant. The latex has many uses, which include laxative for constipation, and treatment for a number of health conditions, which include asthma, stomach ulcer, and inflammatory bowel diseases, among others. The aloe gel, on the other hand, is commonly used for the skin, which will be further discussed in the next part of this post.
Types of Aloe Vera Skin Care Products
Aloe vera can exist in many forms when it is used in a skin care product, which includes the following:
- Facial Mask: It will make an excellent ingredient for a hydrating mask. Adding it to your skin care routine is one of the sure-fire ways to boost hydration.
- Acne Treatment: The salicylic acid in aloe vera is basically the one that is responsible for this benefit. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that allow it to fight bacteria that cause acne.
- Facial Wash: An aloe vera facial wash will not only help in the treatment and prevention of acne but will also be effective in making the skin moisturized without the need to use cleansers that contain harsh chemicals.
- Lotion: When used in the form of a lotion, it can soothe burnt skin while also being able to relieve dryness.
- Gel: This is perhaps the most popular way aloe vera is used for skin care. The gel is cool to the touch, which instantly provides relief from itchiness and irritation. You can also use it on the face or under the eyes.
Top Picks for Aloe Vera Products to get Better Skin
Thinking of the best product to buy? Here are some of the top picks with aloe vera as their main ingredient.
Amara Organics Aloe Vera Gel from Organic Cold-Pressed Aloe
This is a 100% natural product that contains 99.75% aloe vera gel. There are no chemicals, alcohol, and fragrances that are used in this product. It can be used in many ways, such as for razor burn, sunburn relief, and moisturizing the skin. It can be used as a leave-in hair conditioner. It is in a non-sticky gel formula that can be easily absorbed by the skin, even the hair. Plus, your purchase will be risk-free as the manufacturer guarantees a full refund if you are unhappy in any way with regards to how the product works.
Nature Sense Aloe Vera Gel
Made of charcoal-filtered and coal-pressed aloe, it makes use of nothing but the purest form of the ingredient to provide a guarantee that it will deliver effective results. It is also 99.75% aloe and the remaining .25% consists of ingredients that could help retain its freshness. With the high potency of the aloe, the proteins and enzymes are retained. It can provide all-over hydration for the skin, which will especially be helpful for those who are suffering from dryness. The aloe vera gel can also last for up to two years in the absence of having to refrigerate it
Nature Republic Soothing & Moisture Aloe Vera Gel
This 92% aloe vera gel provides a firming and moisturizing effect to the skin. It is in a fast-absorbing gel that will be quickly absorbed by the skin upon application, which also means that the results will be quickly apparent. It also soothes and moisturizes even sensitive skin. The manufacturer claims that there have been more than 30 million units sold, which is a testament that its quality is indeed hard to match.
Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera 100% Gel
This is a 100% pure aloe gel that does not contain artificial fragrances and toxic chemicals that can cause adverse effects on the skin. With every application of the gel, a protective barrier will be formed on the surface of the skin, providing protection from the harsh external elements that could cause damage. There are stabilizers and preservatives, but all of them are natural, which will be effective in enhancing the potency of the gel.
Seven Minerals Aloe Vera Gel
With the use of this 99% organic aloe vera gel, you can expect a moisturized and hydrated skin. Even for those with sensitive skin, this is promising in terms of the outcomes that it can deliver. It is made using fresh aloe leaves and not powder. The plants have been harvested exclusively by the manufacturer, which is one thing that ensures the purity. One thing that separates it from most of its competitors is the use of seaweed extracts, which is a 100% natural thickener. This allows the gel to be quickly absorbed by the skin without leaving a sticky residue, which means that you won’t feel uncomfortable.
Insta Natural Vitamin C Cleanser
One of the main ingredients of this product is aloe vera. Aside from the latter, it also contains coconut water, sugar cane extract, and green tea extract, which work together to hydrate and rejuvenate the skin. It also contains potent antioxidants that will be effective for all skin types. The main uses of this skincare product are for the reduction of blemishes, treatment of acne breakouts, and reduction of pores. It also has a brightening action to lighten your skin tone. Plus, it has an exfoliating effect that can help to reverse the signs of skin aging.
My Beauty Diary Facial Mask, Aloe
If you are looking for optimal hydration, this aloe vera mask has the answer, which will soothe and calm the skin effectively. It will provide exfoliation to the dead skin cells, which will make you look youthful. Aside from aloe vera, other main ingredients that you can find in this mask include mulberry tree bark and bearberry leaf extract. The serums from the mask can be instantly absorbed by the skin upon its use.
Triple Lanolin Aloe Vera Lotion
If you are the type of person who cannot leave home without applying a lotion, this is the perfect choice for you. As it contains aloe vera, you can be confident of the hydrating effect on the skin, which will make it soft throughout the day. If you have been out for a long time under the heat of the sun and if your skin feels like burning, the use of the lotion will also help for a calming effect. Say goodbye to dry skin with the use of this hand and body lotion, which also contains lanolin, an emollient substance that helps to fight flaking and irritation.
Aloe Infusion Face and Body Cream
This aloe cream is a product that will work for people with eczema and other skin problems. It is made using 100% natural super plant and organic extract for effective skin rejuvenation. Aside from aloe vera, other ingredients that make this product excellent include shea butter, manuka honey, and grapeseed oil. There are more than 75 vitamins and minerals in this product. It is also 100% natural, which means that there are no toxic chemicals or artificial fragrances that are used in its production.
Green Leaf Naturals Organic Aloe Vera Gel Spray
This aloe vera spray will work not just for the skin but also for the hair. This is an excellent choice for after sun skincare. If you have eczema, psoriasis, burns, bug bites, and acne, among other skin problems, this will also work. It can also function as a toner and facial wash. Indeed, from head to toe, this will be an excellent product to use.
Aliceva Aloe Vera Gel
This aloe vera gel contains Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C, and E, as well as antioxidants that will effective in soothing and healing damaged skin. It also has anti-bacterial properties to protect the skin. Plus, it can help in maintaining the neutral pH level of the skin. If you have itchy skin or if it is irritated because of sunburn, you can also use this gel and expect that it will deliver favorable outcomes. Lastly, if you are unhappy with the product within 30 days, you can return it to the manufacturer and they will issue an unconditional refund.
Tropical Sands All-Natural Aloe Vera Gel
Made with a 100% all-natural formula, it has no chemicals, fragrances, and water. If you have dry, rough, or irritated skin, this gel will work effectively. There is no need to worry even if you have a sensitive skin. It also has a biodegradable and eco-friendly formulation. Aside from aloe vera, it also contains green tea extracts to soothe the skin, especially if you are treating sunburn. This will help in the rejuvenation of dead skin cells to make the skin look radiant and youthful.
Olay Daily Facials
It is safe to say that this is a revolution when it comes to skincare products. It exists in the form of 4-in-1 water-activated cleansing cloth that is made powerful with the extracts from the aloe leaf. Each cloth will work like a scrub, toner, mask, and cleanser. It will also be effective as a handy makeup remover. As the manufacturer claims, using this will make you feel like you just had a hundred-dollar facial treatment. It improves the texture of the skin within just one week of use. It is soap-free and fragrance-free, which makes it perfect even for people with sensitive skin.
How to Choose Aloe Vera Products for the Skin
If you are searching for aloe vera skincare products, you will be overwhelmed by the wide array of the options that are available. Nonetheless, this should not give you the reason to just believe what the manufacturer is claiming and pick just any product. To make the right decision, these are some of the most important things you need to take into consideration:
- Purity: One of the most important is to ensure that it uses as much aloe as possible to take advantage of the plant’s skin benefits. 100% pure aloe vera is good. This means that it does not contain water. There should also be no fillers, thickeners, preservatives, and fragrances.
- Ingredients: In the case of many of the aloe skincare products, they contain other ingredients as well. There is nothing bad about this. In fact, it is a good thing since it means that it takes advantage of the benefits of the other ingredients. You just have to make sure that these ingredients are also natural and that they won’t be harsh or toxic on the skin.
- Skin Type: It is also important that you consider your skin type as you try to choose an aloe vera product that will be suitable for your needs. Skin types can vary from normal, dry, sensitive, or oily. For instance, if you have sensitive skin, make sure that you choose one that is hypoallergenic. If you have oily skin, choose a product that will not make the skin look oilier.
The Anatomy of an Aloe Leaf
There are three main parts of an aloe leaf:
- Aloe Rind: This is the green and the outer skin of the leaf, which also acts as the protective barrier. This has no significant nutritional benefit. It is thick and has a waxy coating.
- Aloe Latex: This is the bitter and yellowish sap that you can find between the two parts of the aloe. It should never be consumed.
- Aloe Leaf Juice: This is the main part and what makes most of the aloe plant. It is clear, juicy, and most importantly, packed with nutrients. This is the part that is used when making skin care products, including those that are mentioned in this post. It is safe for internal and external consumption.
What is in Aloe Vera Products?
To have a better understanding of aloe vera, it will also help if we look at its components. In a study published at the Indian Journal of Dermatology, it has been revealed that ale vera has 75 potentially active constituents, which are basically the ones responsible for the many benefits that it can deliver. To be specific, here are what you will find in aloe vera:
- Vitamins: Aloe vera is said to contain Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C, and E.
- Minerals: It contains at least 20 minerals that are effective for promoting the best in terms of skin health, which include selenium, potassium, zinc, copper, iron, and calcium.
- Enzymes: These are proteins that play an important role in the skin. There are eight enzymes that you can find in aloe vera: aliiase, alkaline phosphatase, amylase, bradykinase, carboxypeptidase, catalase, cellulase, lipase, and peroxidase.
- Amino Acids: They are important as they will stimulate the function of the skin cells and will be beneficial for anti-aging. In fact, aloe vera has 20 out of the 22 amino acids that humans need.
- Fatty Acids: There are four plant steroids that you can find in aloe, which can deliver anti-inflammatory benefits to the skin.
- Hormones: There are two hormones that are naturally present in aloe vera: auxin and gibberellins. They have anti-inflammatory benefits and will also be beneficial in speeding up the healing of wounds. They can also be instrumental in the growth of new skin cells.
Benefits of Using Aloe Vera for the Skin
There are countless uses of aloe vera when it comes to skincare applications, which include the following:
- It Soothes Sunburn: The cooling property of aloe vera is basically the one that is responsible for this effect. When applied to the area that has been sunburnt, you will immediately feel relief. It can help in the topical treatment of inflammatory skin conditions due to sun exposure.
- It Moisturizes the Skin: Aloe vera has also long been used as a natural ingredient to keep the skin moisturized and hydrated. In a study from Skin Research & Technology Journal, freeze-dried aloe vera extract has been proven to be effective in improving the hydration of the skin.
- It Accelerates Wound Healing: If you have a wound and you would like it to heal faster, you should use aloe vera gel as an alternative treatment. One study has explored this theory and the conclusion was that it speeds up the treatment of first and second-degree burns by as much as nine days.
- It Fights Skin Aging: To fight the visible signs of aging, aloe vera will also help. This was the conclusion of several studies, including one published at the Annals of Dermatology, which revealed that aloe vera can aid in the increase in the production of collagen, which is essential for healthy skin.
- It Reduces Acne: According to the Journal of Dermatological Treatment, aloe vera demonstrated a higher level of effectiveness in the treatment of acne breakout as against topical tretinoin, resulting in fewer pimples. Research has also noted that it is effective in the reduction of erythema or skin redness.
- It Treats Inflammation: This can be attributed to an ingredient known as bradykinase, which is one of the enzymes found in aloe vera. In this study from the Indian Journal of Dermatology, it has been noted that this is effective in the treatment of excessive inflammation when applied topically.
As a soothing and healing plant, aloe vera can work like magic when it comes to taking care of the skin and addressing a wide array of problems. With this, you will benefit from using a range of skincare products that use aloe vera as the main ingredient, including those that have been mentioned above. Whether it is summer or winter, aloe vera can make the skin look and feel better!