Unlike women, men are usually simpler in their daily routine, including haircare. Nonetheless, if there is one tool that is a must-have for stylish guys, it'd be a hair dryer. Small and portable, a hair dryer is a great styling tool for the modern gentlemen. It will give you a dapper look in an instant. Whether you have long or short hair, it is an investment that can make you look sharper without professional styling.
If you are looking for one, keep on reading and we’ll let you know some of the top picks.
What to Look for in a Hair Dryer for Men
Before we present our recommendations, allow us to provide insights on some of the most important factors to consider when looking for hair dryer for men:
- Weight: Choose one that is sleek and lightweight, which will make it easy to use.
- Power: At a minimum, the power should be 1,300 watts. The average is about 1,850 watts
- Versatility: You must be able to customize the different features of the hair dryer, such as the heat and speed settings.
- Ceramic, Tourmaline or Titanium: When looking for a hair dryer, these are the most common words you will see. Ceramic is a coating that minimizes the harshness of the heat that is produced by the hair dryer. Tourmaline or ionic, meanwhile, makes hair dry quicker by allowing the water particles in the hair to break down. Titanium provides even temperature but can get extremely hot, which is why you should avoid it if you have thin or fine hair.
Our Top Picks for Hair Dryers for Men
Now, let us get started with our list to help you find the right hair dryer.
Elchim Classic 2001 Dryer
Like the product that has been mentioned above, this is for men who have fine hair as it is capable of adding volume. The end section is narrow to speed up the ability to generate heat. There is also a direct grip filter, making it perfect for impatient men. With the design of the filter, cleaning and maintenance will be almost effortless. It also comes with a high-precision nozzle, which is great for styling your hair. Lastly, it also delivers 1,875 watts of power, similar to the Revlon dryer noted above.
Revlon 1875W Volumizing Hair Dryer
One of the most common hair problems amongst men is the lack of volume. This is because of fine hair. To resolve this issue, you need to invest in a hair dryer that is made specifically for adding volume, such as this model. It has an ion generator that will maintain the smoothness of the hair as it is dried. It also gives the hair ceramic coating, which will prevent it from extreme damage that can be caused by blow drying. There is also a turbo button to maximize airflow, making sure that you won’t have to wait long before your hair is finally dry.
BIO-IONIC Powerlight Pro-Dryer
For men who are often burdened by the weight of a hair dryer, this can prove to be an excellent alternative. It is sleek and lightweight, so you do not have to worry even if you need to hold it for an extended period. You will also be thankful for its powerful motor, which significantly shortens the time that is necessary to dry your hair. More so, with the infusion of Nanolonic Minerals, it can break down the water molecules in the hair. The micronized water molecules will be able to penetrate your hair, making it smoother and hydrated.
Andis 1,875-watt Tourmaline Ceramic Ionic Styling Hair Dryer
For the guys who are always in a hurry, this is one product that can prove to be exceptional. One of the reasons for the latter is the ionic technology, which is basically the one that is responsible for breaking up the water molecules to allow the hair to dry quickly. More so, with the ceramic even-heat technology, the natural oils of the hair will be preserved, and the moisture will be sealed. There is also a cool shot button for styling without the heat.
KIPOZI Hair Dryer
Although the brand name is not as popular as most of the options that have been mentioned above, its quality is top-notch. There are three stages of heat and two stages of speed. A cool shot button is also available for styling your hair with a breeze of cool air. The cord is also long enough, making it possible to use the product even when far away from the source of the power. It has an 1,875-watt motor, which is powerful enough for the styling needs of most men.
Conair 1,875-watt Full-Size Pro Hair Dryer
If you are a guy who cares about frizz and shine, this is the hair dryer that is perfect for you. It comes with the ionic technology to give you good-looking hair without the need to exert a lot of effort. Meanwhile, with the tourmaline ceramic technology, the heat that it produces is uniform while also guaranteeing fast dry time. In terms of versatility, it is a good thing that there are two settings for speed and three for heat.
XTAVA Pro Hair Dryer
The mere fact that this is a salon-grade hair dryer can already provide you with the assurance that the quality and performance are never compromised. It has a cool shot button, which will allow you to dry your hair without being damaged by heat. It is also an excellent tool for effectively taming frizz. There are multiple speed settings that will make it versatile. Best of all, it is compact and lightweight, which will also make it pass as a travel hair dryer.
John Frieda Frizz Ease Full Volume Hair Dryer
A lot of men tend to suffer from thin and frizzy hair. If you are one of those guys, the use of this blow dryer can present the perfect solution. It has the Advanced Ionic Technology, which eliminates frizz. There is a titanium ceramic coated grill that will allow it to distribute heat evenly to avoid damaging a specific portion of your hair. For versatility, you can choose from three heat and two speed settings. Lastly, there is an ergonomic handle that makes it user-friendly.
NITION Ceramic Hair Dryer Negative Ion
The champagne gold color isn’t exactly manly, but every guy who would want to style his own hair will surely love this product, especially because of its lightweight body and ergonomic design. Like the majority of the models that we have listed in this post, the motor of this unit is also capable of delivering quick drying results. Plus, you will love how the buttons are strategically positioned, making it easy to adjust the heat or speed setting as you desire.
BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Hair Dryer
Although not specifically designed for men, this is our top pick within the product category. Among others, we love how it comes with a 2,000-watt motor that speeds up the drying time, so you won’t feel too lazy to use the dryer. It also comes with six-speed and heat settings, allowing you to choose the level that is right for your needs. The dryer is also lightweight, so using this should not be too much of a burden on your end. Lastly, the hair dryer has a removable filter, which makes it easy to clean and maintain its optimal performance.
Why You Should Use a Hair Dryer
Some of the guys reading this post may be skeptical about whether they should invest in a hair dryer.
If there is one secret to stylish hair, it would be hot air. Using a dryer allows you to easily style your hair and set in place. When your hair is dry, the styling products will adhere better, meaning you can use less of it. It also gets rid of excess moisture.
How to Use a Hair Dryer Properly
Some guys may be lazy with their haircare routine. However, it's not as simple as turning it on, pointing it at your head, and waiting for the hair to dry. For the best results, follow these steps:
- Once you get out of the shower, start by towel drying your hair. This will get rid of excess water and will make it quicker to dry. A microfiber towel is best as it produces less friction and damage to your hair.
- Comb your hair to remove tangles. This will also smooth the hair strands for easier drying.
- Apply a heat protectant to protect your hair from the harsh heat
- Turn on the hair dryer and choose the medium setting. If you have thin or fragile hair, choose the lowest heat setting.
- Hold the dryer about six to eight inches away from the hair and start drying in segments. Targeting a specific portion for a long period will make it prone to damage. Going segment by segment will allow you to finish quicker.
- You can also consider using a diffuser, but this will depend on your own preference. The diffuser will maximize the reach of the heat, making your hair dry quicker.
- Apply your choice of styling product. When your hair is dry, styling it should be easier.
Other Haircare and Styling Tips for Men
Aside from using the right hair dryer, below are other hairstyling tips to keep in mind:
- Use the right hairstyling product based on your hairstyle. For instance, if you have sleek and short hair, a clay or pomade will be the best option. For those with short hair that needs control and shine, waxes are ideal. Meanwhile, use creams if you have frizz and fly-aways. Gels are great for a wet look and hairspray is nice if you want a volumizing effect.
- Make sure to wash your hair clean before you have it styled. If the hair is dirty and oily, chances are, the haircare products won’t be effective.
- If you have thinning hair, the right blow-drying technique is critical for an additional volume. For maximum volume, flip your hair over and and let the hair dryer and gravity take its course.
- Begin with a pea-sized amount of styling product. Style your hair as you wish and add more if you need it.
- It is also critical to choose the right type of brush to use. If you are blow drying your hair, avoid a metal brush or comb as it can easily get hot and will inevitably damage the hair. A brush with boar’s hair or nylon will be great.
A hair dryer is a styling tool that isn’t exclusive to women. The modern gentlemen will also benefit from using it. Nonetheless, some hair dryers can do more harm than good, such as dryness. With this, choose the perfect product and keep an eye on the options that have been briefly reviewed above.