Dry skin can be a real struggle, especially during the winter months. It makes your face flakey and cracked. The skin will lack life and radiance when it is dry. The problem can be exacerbated if you use the wrong skin care products.
It can also be harder to apply makeup when your skin is dry. With this, hydration will help. To achieve the latter, you will need to use a top-rated drugstore primer that is made specifically for people with dry skin, including the products that we will recommend in this guide.
How a Primer Can Help
For people who have dry skin, the best product that can be used is the right moisturizer. After all, as the name implies, it has the purpose of moisturizing the skin, allowing it to provide immediate relief from dryness.
However, a good primer can also extend a helping hand. Take note, however, that not all primers will work. A good primer will help to hydrate and nourish the skin before the application of makeup. It helps to deal with dryness without being oily. If the primer is too oily, the makeup may have a hard time clinging to the surface and you might look sweaty throughout the day.
Our Top Picks: Drugstore Primers for Dry Skin
Clueless about the best primer to choose? Below are some of the budget-friendly options that should be on your radar.
Rimmel Stay Matte Primer
If you have dry skin with oily patches, make sure to include this in your list of choices. As the manufacturer claims, it has a special formulation that allows it to cover the skin imperfections for up to eight hours. Your skin will be free of shine and pores throughout the day, making it photo-ready. It is also ultra-lightweight, so there is no need to worry that it will be uncomfortable, especially during a hot day. This primer can be worn even on its own or with a foundation.
E.L.F. Studio Illuminating Face Primer
The use of this primer will allow you to create a flawless base for the smooth application of your makeup. It can combat dryness and flakiness, among other skin problems. It is lightweight and silky, making it easy to brighten your complexion. In terms of the ingredients that are used, you will surely be happy to know that it is free for parabens, sulfates, and phthalates, among other ingredients that could possibly irritate the skin. It is also cruelty-free and vegan.
Clinique Super Universal Face Primer
The smoothest canvas for your makeup – this is exactly what you can expect with the use of this drugstore primer. You do not need to worry even if you have dry skin. With the hydration that the primer can provide, your face can be transformed into a smooth base while also being able to hide your flaws. It also corrects the color of the skin. Best of all, its formula does not include phthalates, fragrances, and parabens. It is made using pure ingredients that won’t have an adverse reaction, even if you have sensitive skin.
L’Oréal Paris Studio Secrets Perfecting Base Face Primer
Immediately after application of this drugstore primer, the results will be noticeable in an instant. It is silky and lightweight, which will make it glide smoothly even on dry skin. After applying, you will notice that the skin is smoother and will have a velvety finish. Even without applying foundation or makeup, this will be enough to give you a fresh look throughout the day. It has a long-lasting matte finish, making it the perfect choice for those who are too lazy to give their makeup a retouch.
NYX Studio Perfect Primer
The manufacturer calls this their Photo-Loving Primer. Basically, what this means is that your face will be ready for the photos as it is flawless in every angle. Using the primer is an effective way to hide blemishes on the face. Your large pores and fine lines are sure to be covered in no time! Plus, it ensures the staying power of your makeup. The primer is available in three shades, so there is one that is perfect for your complexion or the color of the makeup that you intend to wear alongside the primer.
NYX Professional Makeup Honey Dew Me Up Primer
Using this primer will give you a dewy finish, which is exactly the reason why it is a great choice for those who have dry skin. If you have redness or discoloration, this will also be an effective choice for a drugstore primer. The gold flecks in the primer are also great, providing the skin with a natural shine. Because of this, even without makeup on, the primer will work in making you look more beautiful. It is also infused with collagen, which makes the skin healthy.
Maybelline Face Studio Master Prime Primer, Hydrate + Smooth
As it is stated in the name of this product, this can do two things – to hydrate and smoothen the skin. If you have dry skin, this will work in providing the hydration that you need while also concealing the pores and the flaws for smoother application of your makeup. It is non-oily and weightless. Even if it is a hot day, your makeup will stay on with the help of this top-rated primer. It has a water-soluble base that won’t be too heavy for the skin. Meanwhile, it has ingredients that won’t cause irritation.
COVERGIRL + Olay Simply Ageless Makeup Primer
According to some of the people who have used this drugstore primer, it feels like a moisturizer upon application, making it a good way to hydrate dry skin. This is despite being oil-free. It does not clog the pores, so you do not have to worry that it can result in breakouts. It also has an exclusive formula that allows you to defy the visible signs of aging to make the skin more flawless. It has anti-aging benefits for the skin cells to renew, making you look younger and more radiant!
Neutrogena Healthy Skin Primer SPF 15
One of the things that you will love the most in this primer is how it has SPF 15, which protects the skin from the harmful rays of the sun. As a tone-correcting primer, this can be effectively used in correcting the color of the skin, making it easier for the foundation or the makeup to blend in after its application. Like most of the primers that are mentioned in this post, you will also surely love how it comes with a silky and lightweight formula.
Mary Kay Foundation Primer
This is a primer that exists in the form of a liquid gel, which allows it to glide easily on dry skin. The gel formula also helps in providing relief from dryness. It is oil-free, so you can expect that it won’t feel greasy, especially during a hot day. It is also tested by dermatologists, so you do not have to worry that using it will result in skin irritation. The primer is also non-comedogenic, which simply means that it won’t end up clogging the pores.
Understanding Dry Skin
It is important to understand what dry skin is and its underlying causes.
Dry skin can occur in any part of the body. It can be characterized by dry patches that will eventually heal. It can be itchy and even scaly. It can be uncomfortable, and worse, unattractive. Often, the use of a moisturizer provides the first line of defense against dryness.
There are many factors that can cause dry skin, such as the weather. When it is too cold, it is normal for the face to turn dry. It can also be caused by psoriasis, eczema, hypothyroidism, diabetes, and poor nutrition, among others. To add, as you age, it is also normal for the skin to become drier and thinner. Regular swimming can also be the culprit since the chlorine in pools can dry out the skin.
Tips and Tricks for Proper Primer Application
Regardless if you have dry skin or not, the tips mentioned below will help to make the most out of the primer that you will be using:
- Perhaps, the best thing that you can do is to prepare the skin for the application of the primer. Use a mild cleanser to get rid of the dirt and impurities on the skin. If the face is dirty and oily, the primer will have a hard time clinging on the surface. Therefore, it will be useless.
- Do not apply the primer straight to your face. Apply a small amount at the back of your hand. Use your fingertip to apply this on the face. Start small and blend it from the nose going out. In most cases, a raisin-drop will be more than enough. Applying too much will make the skin too thick and you might have a hard time applying makeup or foundation.
- If you have dull skin, a tinted primer will work best for you. It adds a subtle tint to the skin to give it more life and radiance.
- The primer that you will use should not only match your skin but must be also compatible with the makeup or foundation that you are using. If you are using a water-based foundation, you should choose a water-based primer. Otherwise, the base will easily separate from your makeup.
- Do not forget the area under the eyes when you are applying a primer. Ignoring these portions of the face would make the makeup crease or smudge.
- According to experts, there is a magic trick that can work if you want your makeup to last longer. Apply the following in the order they are listed – primer, liquid foundation, and translucent powder. The latter is actually the one that does the magic in making sure that the primer and the makeup stay on the face longer.
- If you are going to apply the primer in a portion of the face that is larger than a quarter, it will be best to use your fingertips. If it is smaller, on the other hand, it will be best to use a brush.
Natural Remedies for Dry Skin
Anyone who suffers from a recurring case of dry skin will see it as a curse. The good news is that you do not just have to keep up with it. There are several promising solutions that are available, including those listed below:
- Aloe Vera: This is not just a popular herbal remedy for hair and scalp but also for the face. Applying the gel directly in the dry patches of the skin can provide instant relief. It is also soothing, which is why it is good for sunburn.
- Coconut Oil: All that you need to do is to wipe the face with the oil and allow it to be absorbed by the skin. It replenishes and locks moisture into the skin, making it effective against dryness.
- Avocado: If you are a fan of guacamole, you can put avocado into another good use by making it a part of your skincare routine. Mash half avocado along with olive oil and honey. Once the desired consistency has been reached, you can apply this on the face as a mask. It has a hydrating effect that will make it work as a moisturizer.
- Oatmeal: Combine oatmeal with honey to create a moisturizing mask. This will also help in the exfoliation of the dead cells, allowing the skin to be renewed and hydrated.
Say goodbye to dry skin! Make it easier to apply makeup by creating a smooth canvas on the face using the best drugstore primer that is specifically formulated for people who have dry skin. The products mentioned above will create an excellent base for your foundation and other makeup while effectively addressing dryness.