If you experience flaky and rough complexion on your face, chances are that the rest of your body could be suffering from dry skin too. Yet, most of us are probably guilty of stocking up on facial serums and hydrating facial masks, but neglect showing the same amount of TLC for our body. Just like your face, your body deserves the best when it comes to skincare. The skin on our body is the same as that on our face, and require sufficient hydration to maintain a healthy skin barrier in order to keep dryness at bay. But, as the saying goes “Better late than never.” The best time to start paying serious attention to your body’s skin condition is now. In this guide, we show you the top drugstore moisturizers that deliver lasting hydration for your body to get you through the cold winters and falling temperatures, without breaking the bank.
Top Drugstore Moisturizers for Dry Skin Reviewed
CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
Specially designed for tackling dry skin, CeraVe’s Moisturizing Cream contains the moisture-retaining Hyaluronic Acid and an MVE Delivery Technology that controls moisture release to keep your skin hydrated 24/7. Besides providing long-lasting hydration, this cream is infused with three types of skin-restoring Ceramides that repair and strengthen your skin’s protective barriers, thereby resolving dry skin problems once and for all. Dermatologically developed, it is suitable for dry to extremely dry conditions, as well as those suffering from eczema and psoriasis.
Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream for Dry/Sensitive Skin
Another well-loved brand among dry skin users has got to be Cetaphil. Its body moisturizer consists of a blend of extra-strength emollients and humectants to provide your skin with intensive, lasting hydration. The non-greasy lotion soaks right into your skin to soothe dry, itchy patches on the elbows, knees, and feet for all-day comfort. Sensitive skin types will be happy to know that the product is fragrance-free and does not cause breakouts.
Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Moisture Wrap Body Lotion
If you experience severe dryness such as cracked and bleeding skin, Nivea’s Norwegian Formula Lotion is the answer to your skincare prayers. This moisturizer is non-greasy and sheer which makes for fast absorption. In fact, it sinks in so fast that you won’t have to worry about having a slippery grip once you apply these on your hands or feet. This is due to the lotion’s unique Glycerin-rich complex that leaves your skin feeling smooth without any oiliness. Apply the lotion to dry, affected areas before you sleep, and let its healing power work its magic so that you can wake up to soft and healthy skin.
La Roche-Posay Lipikar Body Lotion
Touted as the no.1 body care brand in European Pharmacies, this body lotion by La Roche-Posay is a godsend for dry skin individuals. Besides utilizing moisturizing ingredients like Shea Butter and Glycerin, the lotion is infused with the brand’s own Prebiotic Thermal Water which has impressive hydrating and soothing properties to provide lasting comfort. Eczema-prone and sensitive skin users have provided glowing reviews on its ability to keep their skin well-moisturized without any irritation. In fact, its formula is so gentle and nourishing that it is even suitable for babies aged six months and up.
Curél Hydra Therapy Wet Skin Moisturizer
This ingenious moisturizer leverages a water-activated formula which means it can be applied directly onto damp skin right after your shower. The rationale behind it is because your skin’s pores are open right after cleansing which maximizes the absorption of the moisturizer into the skin. This moisturizer also includes an Advanced Ceramide Complex to restore damaged skin barrier, which is a common occurrence among dry skin types. As such, say goodbye to dry and rough skin no more!
Eucerin Advanced Repair Dry Skin Lotion
This high-performing lotion works to provide your skin with lasting hydration for up to 48 hours so that your skin always feel comfortable and soft. It has been proclaimed as a holy grail body moisturizer by countless users because the rich, creamy lotion seeps into the skin completely to smoothen scaly, flaky areas for a soft and supple texture. Despite having Alpha Hydroxy Acid in it, those with sensitive skin did not experience any irritation while using this lotion. However, do remember to layer on sunscreen in order to prevent photosensitivity when exposed to sunlight.
Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Lotion
This luxurious and decadent chocolate-scented lotion has got to be the body moisturizer of your dreams. Enriched with rich Cocoa Butter and antioxidant Vitamin E, the lotion’s velvety texture glides smoothly over your skin to soften even the roughest and driest patches. A reviewer, in particular, mentioned that just by using this moisturizer daily for a week, he experienced a dramatic improvement in the dry patches on his knees and feet as these areas remained moisturized throughout the day. As such, keep a bottle of this by your side and you will be set for the winter.
Nivea Express Hydration Body Lotion
Like its namesake, this lotion provides you with instant hydration that lasts all day so that you can finally be free of the uncomfortable, tight feeling caused by dryness. Due to the brand’s proprietary Intense Moisture Serum and the addition of moisture-intense Sea Minerals, the result is an ultra lightweight texture that sinks into your skin fast without leaving a greasy residue behind. In fact, the lotion is so sheer and fast-absorbing that you can immediately put on clothing without worrying that it will rub off and ruin the fabric.
Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream
Aveeno has been the go-to brand when it comes to dealing with dry skin. Made with skin-soothing Colloidal Oatmeal and moisture-restoring Ceramides, this silky-rich cream helps to replenish and fortify your skin’s protective barriers to resolve dryness effectively. In fact, this life-changing cream has miraculously cleared up many users’ eczema and chronic dryness problems within a few days’ of usage!
Lubriderm Daily Moisture Body Lotion
With a rapid absorption rate of a few seconds, this daily body moisturizer is the perfect solution to all your dry skin woes. You can slather on as much of the liquidy lotion as you like, without looking or feeling like a greaseball. Its thin consistency also allows for easy spreading to cover a substantial area evenly. It is further enriched with vitamin B5 that has proven soothing, healing, and regenerating abilities to resolve rough patches and inflammation. Lastly, the formula lacks fragrances which means it is unlikely to irritate sensitive skin.
Vaseline Intensive Care Aloe Soothe Body Lotion
We all know that Aloe Vera has long been used for soothing and hydrating the skin, which is why Vaseline has incorporated this key ingredient in its body lotion to fight dryness. Combining it with the brand’s own Vaseline Jelly, the end result is a powerful yet highly affordable body moisturizer that will calm down redness and soften the rough patches in order to keep your skin happy and healthy. One reviewer even mentioned that applying a liberal amount of the lotion on her sunburns healed them completely within two days when it would normally take a couple of weeks for a full recovery. Isn’t that amazing?
Himalaya Cocoa Butter Intensive Body Lotion
Another Cocoa Butter-based body moisturizer that has been enriched with Wheat Germ Oil. As Cocoa Butter is a powerful emollient that softens and moisturizes the skin, this lotion keeps your skin from flaking or cracking. Wheat Germ Oil is naturally rich in Vitamin E which is why applying this lotion daily will transform your skin back to its original, healthy state. An added benefit of this moisturizer is its non-greasy texture and lack of perfumed scent. Get soothing relief from dryness with this lotion today.
Gold Bond Ultimate Radiance Renewal Hydrating Lotion
Fortified with a moisturizing blend of Coconut Oil, African Shea Butter, and Cocoa Butter, this triple threat is the only defense that your skin needs against chronic dryness. One unique feature is that this body lotion contains gentle exfoliants that effectively remove dry skin cells from the surface without causing irritation. The result is a brighter and healthier-looking skin texture. Its heavy, thick, and creamy consistency is also perfect for coating your skin with intense hydration that lasts all day during wintertime.
Jergens Ultra Healing Extra Dry Skin Moisturizer
Formulated especially for extreme dryness, this moisturizer by Jergens seeks to repair damaged skin, soothe itchiness, and soften those unsightly scaly patches. With its own Hydralucence™ blend as well as Vitamins C, E, and B5, this rich lotion is capable of penetrating through an astonishing five layers of skin in order to provide you with deep, lasting hydration. Users who suffered from eczema and keratosis pilaris noted a positive change in their skin texture as the lotion effectively smoothened out rough patches and healed painful cracks.
Hempz Original Herbal Body Moisturizer
This vegan moisturizer is paraben- and gluten-free. It contains 100% Pure Natural Hemp Seed Oil which has a similar molecular structure to the lipids in our skin. As such, this lotion not only alleviates dryness but also regulates your skin’s sebum production to prevent dryness from reoccurring. Besides that, it is also infused with Shea Butter and Ginseng to soothe and revitalize your skin in order to restore it to its natural, healthy condition. Use this as part of your daily routine and you will soon enjoy silky-smooth skin.
As we have seen, there is a multitude of affordable options that effectively treat a wide spectrum of dry to extremely dry conditions. Be it a lotion or cream, these moisturizers have been consistently proven by dermatologists and users to provide your body with lasting hydration. As such, you will never have to deal with itchy, rough, and inflamed skin again. It’s time to embrace soft and healthy skin without stressing your wallet.
4 Natural Remedies to Try At Home for Dry Skin
If you are not particularly keen on using store-bought moisturizers, you can try the au naturel route. Most of the ingredients for these remedies are probably already present in your kitchen or backyard, so this will save you a trip to the grocery store. Let’s take a look at these time-proven, natural remedies that can help resolve dry skin:
- Oatmeal Bath: oatmeal has traditionally been used to calm and soothe itchy, irritated skin caused by skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It has superb healing and moisturizing properties to restore damaged skin barrier and bind water to the skin in order to combat dryness effectively. To prepare an oatmeal bath, you will require colloidal oatmeal which can be made by grinding raw oats in a blender until a fine powdery consistency is achieved. Pour a cup of it into a warm bath and wait for it to dissolve completely. For best results, soak your body in the bath for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Baking Soda Bath: besides oatmeal, baking soda baths are another popular at-home method in relieving dry, itchy skin. Due to its gentle exfoliating property, baking soda can effectively rid your skin of the flaky, rough texture to reveal a smoother and brighter complexion. As it is also anti-inflammatory, it is great for soothing and healing irritated skin for lasting relief. To enjoy it as a bath, mix a quarter-cup of baking soda in a bathtub of lukewarm water, and then soak in it for 10 minutes.
- Aloe Vera Leaf: aloe vera is a medicinal plant that can be easily grown in your backyard to provide you with an all-natural moisturizer any time you feel like your skin needs a pick-me-up. Cut a section of a matured aloe vera leaf and remove its outer layer to get to the clear gel within. You can scoop out the cool gel with your hands and apply directly on affected areas for instant relief.
- Coconut Oil: as coconut oil is high in fat content and Vitamin E, it is highly beneficial in nourishing and protecting your skin from dryness. Its antibacterial property also shields your skin from external germs and bacteria, making it ideal for applying on the hands and feet. You can put a small amount of the oil on your skin right after bathing to seal in the moisture.
Natural remedies are not only effective in treating dry skin, but due to the exclusion of chemicals, parabens, and other potentially skin-irritating ingredients, these methods are often safer without risky side effects. Of course, you should always do a patch test first to gauge your skin’s reaction to the substance.
6 Lifestyle Tips to Prevent and Treat Dry Skin
Prevention is better than cure. This is definitely the mantra you should adopt when it comes to fighting dryness. In this section, we show you what you should and should not do so that the symptoms of your dry skin can be kept in check, and even be completely eliminated:
- Apply Moisturizer on Damp Skin: this nifty trick helps to maximize the effectiveness of your body lotion or cream because your pores are open after a shower which allow the moist skin to drink in your moisturizer better. This enhances your skin’s ability to retain moisture and stay hydrated for a longer time too.
- Moisturizing Sunscreen: excessive sun exposure and free radicals are often the leading cause of a damaged skin barrier. And we know that once your skin’s protective mechanism is compromised, it is likely to be irritated and more prone to exhibiting symptoms of dryness. As such, investing in a moisturizing sunscreen will save your skin from dryness-related complications in the long run.
- Reduce Shower Frequency and Duration: hot water in an enclosed space is the no. 1 culprit in stripping away your skin’s natural oils. The more often and the longer you shower, the higher the chances of your skin becoming dried out. Cut back on the number of showers per week and limit it to under 10 minutes each time, and you will soon see a vast improvement in your skin condition.
- Wear Skin-Friendly Clothing: synthetic fabrics like polyester and nylon are some of the worst choices for dry, sensitive skin as these materials do not allow your skin to breathe. Instead, choose breathable and non-irritating clothing such as cotton, silk, and cashmere. These fabrics have a smoother feel which minimizes the chances of further sensitizing your skin. Cotton and silk also wick away moisture so that you stay cool and comfortable all day.
- Hypoallergenic Laundry Detergents: do you know that the type of laundry detergent actually can trigger skin dryness? Yes, harsh detergents that contain skin-irritating agents like surfactants, fragrances, parabens, and dyes are a hidden cause for contributing to itchy, scaly skin. It’s time to switch your detergent brand to one that has a hypoallergenic formula that won’t sensitize your skin further.
- A Well-Balanced Diet: more often than not, dry skin is caused by internal factors in your body. While fat-free diets might sound trendy, this could lead to an imbalance in your body’s nutrients and a corresponding deficiency in your skin’s natural oils. Instead, incorporate antioxidant-rich foods like berries and root vegetables to repair cell damage. Foods containing omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon and tuna will boost your skin’s hydration from the inside out. Lastly, water is a key contributing factor to maintaining your skin’s moisture levels, so make sure to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water every day.
All in all, symptoms of dry skin that causes you discomfort can be easily avoided with the right care and maintenance. Incorporating these tips and tricks into your daily routine would have you enjoying smooth, hydrated, and healthy skin in no time at all!
As we have seen, just like facial moisturizers, a good body moisturizer that does its job well is an essential part of your skincare routine if you want to keep dry skin in check. Thankfully, there are numerous quality drugstore brands to choose from, giving us convenience and value-for-money while still providing our skin with moisture-replenishing ingredients to fight off symptoms of dryness effectively. It’s time to stock up on one of these hardworking hydrators that will keep your body well-moisturized around the clock.