A great makeup begins with a great base. The right primer is the secret! It preps the skin for makeup application and effectively covers the pores to make you look flawless. There is no need to use camera filters to hide imperfections. The best primer can work like magic in transforming your face!
If you have sensitive skin, however, not all primers will work. Many of them contain ingredients that cause irritation. It triggers acne, redness, and makes the skin itchy, among other side effects. To make the right choice, keep on reading and we will list down some of the best products to consider.
Our Top Picks for Makeup Primer for Sensitive Skin
Got sensitive skin? Do not just use any primer. Below are some of the options that should be on your radar.
Belleza Secreto Premium Makeup Primer
Wear your make-up all-day long with the use of this primer. With just a thin coat, you can expect the makeup to last up to 12 hours. It is packed with vitamins and antioxidants, which will encourage cell production and enhance the defense against the damage that can be caused by free radicals. The primer has a non-comedogenic formula, which will prevent clogging the pores. This makes it great for those who are easily prone to acne. It is also effective in the reduction of wrinkles, fine lines, and pores.
Rimmel Stay Matte Primer
This is a makeup primer that can also be used for mattifying. Whether you are wearing a foundation or not, this primer will work to conceal imperfections! When applied on the face, it can effectively hide your pores and stop the skin from being shiny for up to eight hours. It has an ultra-lightweight formula, which means that it won’t make you feel sticky, even during a hot day. It is as light as feather!
Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Light
If you have a sensitive skin that is prone to acne, this is the primer that will work for your needs. It is made of 60% water and does not contain oil, which makes it effective in controlling the production of sebum. It also corrects the skin tone and promotes the production of collagen. It exists in the form of a weightless gel, making the application a lot easier and preventing that greasy feeling. The primer contains Vitamin C and peptides, which effectively provides a layer of protection from pollution.
Laura Mercier Foundation Primer
With the use of this lightweight and colorless gel, you will look better in your makeup! The makeup will stay on the face longer and you will feel fresher, especially because of its dewy finish. This is unlike in the case of other primers that are too heavy and can feel sticky. It is water-based and is not loaded with silicone smoothers that can cause irritation for those who have sensitive skin. There are silicones, but only the lightest ones are used and they are minimal.
ELF Blemish Control Face Primer
You will get an unbelievably smooth face with the use of this primer. One of its main ingredients is salicylic acid, which is great for those who have acne. It also has tea tree oil and Vitamin E, which can also effectively control breakouts. To address skin sensitivity, it does not contain harsh chemicals. It is also one of the most affordable from the primers that are mentioned in this guide, making it worth your attention.
Lorac POREfection Mattifying Face Powder
This primer does not contain parabens, oil, and perfume, making it a great choice for those who have a sensitive skin. Nonetheless, it has salicylic acid, which is the one responsible for its anti-acne benefits. To add, the primer also contains Vitamins A, C, and E, which work together to make the skin glowing and youthful. Aside from having long-lasting makeup, the primer also helps in minimizing pores and fine lines.
Touch in Sol No Poreblem Primer
Got pores? This product claims there should be no poreblem! See the wordplay? It promises to cover up the pores for an even application of makeup, even for those with sensitive skin. This South Korean beauty product contains a unique powder, which effectively controls the production of sebum while also providing the skin with a velvety finish. The product also has collagen and green tea extracts that will create an invisible barrier to protect your sensitive skin from external elements, such as pollution.
Radiant Complex Face Primer
To achieve a truly flawless look, this makeup primer will be your best friend, especially if you have a sensitive skin. Upon application, the makeup will glide smoothly, making the application as effortless as possible. It is packaged in a sleek container that won’t take up too much space in your bag. The primer is also free of parabens and has never been tested on animals, making it cruelty-free. There is no need to worry about being greasy or heavy as it comes in a lightweight formulation.
Bella Terra Mineral Cosmetics Makeup Primer
Hide fine lines, pores, and other skin imperfections with the use of this makeup primer, which is specially formulated for people with sensitive skin. It makes a smooth canvas out of the face for the effortless application of makeup and to make sure that the latter will last throughout the day or night. It has a gel-like texture, which will make it easier for the makeup to bind on the skin. It is also lightweight and non-greasy for your comfort. With its satin finish, you can effortlessly achieve that velvety look!
Better’n Ur Skin Mineral Makeup Primer
This mineral moisturizer is loaded with botanicals that will never irritate the skin. It is free of harsh chemicals that can result in adverse side effects. The primer does not contain parabens and fragrances, among other harsh ingredients. It is also cruelty and vegan-free. Aside from improving makeup application, this product is also known for its anti-aging benefits. To be specific, it has vitamins that can minimize fine lines and pores. The primer can also absorb sweat to reduce the need to blot and for the makeup to stay on the face longer.
Reasons to Use a Makeup Primer
Some people believe that using a makeup primer is just a waste of time and money. Do not be one of them! Below are some of the benefits of using a makeup primer, which will provide you with compelling reasons to buy one of the products that have been mentioned above!
- Longer-Lasting Makeup: On the top of its benefits is the longevity of the makeup. It allows the foundation or any other makeup to cling to the skin longer and it also helps in absorbing oil so that the makeup will not dissolve.
- Smoothen Makeup: More than just making the makeup last longer, using a primer will also be beneficial in terms of creating a more polished look. It creates a velvety surface for the makeup to appear smoother.
- Hide the Imperfections: Whether it is fine lines or pores, the right primer will do an excellent job in hiding the imperfections, creating a flawless look. It seals the pores and creates a blanket, which is especially important when you are using liquid foundation.
- Look Brighter: There are specific types of makeup primers that contain brightening pigments, providing the skin with a different kind of glow. It also works to even out the skin tone or complexion.
- Fight Aging: Many of the primers available on the market today contain antioxidants that can be effective in fighting cell damage caused by free radicals. They will help to prevent fine lines and wrinkles, among other skin problems associated with aging.
Why You Should Not Use Just Any Primer
If you go online and search for the best makeup primers, you will be overwhelmed with the long list of the search results. Nonetheless, if you have sensitive skin, do not choose just any primer. Pick one that is specifically made for your skin type.
A lot of primers can contain ingredients that can easily irritate the skin. For those with sensitive skin, this means that it can easily suffer from redness, swelling, and acne breakouts, among other forms of irritation. A primer made for sensitive skin often does not contain alcohol, parabens, sulfates, and oils, among other ingredients that could cause irritation.
Tips and Tricks for Application of a Makeup Primer
You do not need to be a trained makeup artist to use the primer the right way. This section will give you some hints on how to make the most out of such a product to make the skin look radiant and glowing while allowing the makeup to stay longer on the face.
A Step-by-Step Guide on Using a Primer
The good news is that it does not require a lot of time and effort to apply the primer. It is easy and anyone can do it.
- Start by prepping the skin. Use a gentle cleanser to wash the face and get rid of the dirt. Do not forget to apply a moisturizer. However, you can skip this step if you have oily skin. If the face is dirty, the primer won’t work.
- Now that the skin is clean and ready, time to apply the primer! Apply a small amount on your fingertip and blend from the nose going out. Make sure that it covers the entire face.
- Once the primer has settled, it is now time to apply the foundation or other makeup essentials. It is best to wait for about three to five minutes for the primer to settle on the skin.
Mistakes to Avoid
Below are some of the mistakes that you should never commit when applying a makeup primer:
- Do not use too much primer. In fact, as makeup experts would say, less is more. As much as possible, use only a raisin-sized drop and rub it all over the face making sure to cover all areas.
- Do not apply a primer on smaller areas without a brush. While it is best to use your fingertips for a larger portion of the face, when it comes to areas like the lips and the eyelids, it will be best to use a brush.
- Do not use the same primer throughout the year. It will be a good idea to switch primers depending on the season. For instance, your summer primer may not be as effective during the winter months.
- Do not use a primer that does not match your foundation. If the foundation is water-based, you should also use only a water-based primer. On the other hand, for a silicone-based foundation, use only silicone-based primer.
- Do not apply the primer without moisturizing. As noted in the steps above, after cleansing the face, the next thing to do is to moisturize before the primer. This will create a barrier between the foundation and the hydrated skin.
The Surprising Uses of Makeup Primers
Speaking of the tips when applying makeup primers, a lot of you may be unaware of the fact that it has a long list of other uses. All it takes is a little creativity to use the primer in ingenious ways!
If you want to tame your hair to get rid of frizz and flyaway, a makeup primer will do the trick. Simply rub the primer on your fingers and stroke it on your hair. This can be effective in fighting humidity.
To stop static from your clothes, a makeup primer can also help. All that you have to do is to rub a bit of the primer on the clothes and the problem is solved!
A primer can also work like magic when it comes to dealing with friction. It can help to relieve chafing between your legs.
Look picture-perfect like your favorite celebrity by using the primers mentioned above! They are made specifically for sensitive skin, so there is no need to worry about irritation. They will not only make the skin more flawless, but it can also make the makeup last longer! It is probably the magic component that you are missing in your makeup routine!