If you have sensitive skin, finding the right products to use can be a challenge, including a deodorant. The skin on your armpit can become red, swollen, and irritated if you use a deodorant that contains harsh ingredients. With this, you should be a meticulous buyer, taking the time to differentiate the possibilities to pick the right one for you.
You should buy a deodorant that is especially formulated for people with sensitive skin. They contain natural ingredients, such as essential oils and botanical extracts, providing an assurance that they won’t cause adverse effects on the skin. Keep on reading and allow our team to help you choose the right deodorant.
Our Top Picks for Deodorants for Sensitive Skin
Searching for the best deodorant that doesn’t irritate the skin? You came to the right place. Below are some of the products worth looking at, as well as some of the reasons why they are amongst our favorites.
Almay Sensitive Skin Anti-Perspirant and Deodorant
More than being hypoallergenic, this deodorant has also been tested by dermatologists, providing you with the assurance that it will indeed work for your sensitive skin. The main ingredient of this product is 25% aluminum sesquichlorohydrate. It also acts as an antiperspirant, which means that you should no longer worry about having wet patches on your clothes. It is in the form of a clear gel that dries quickly upon application. There will be no streaks that can be traced on your clothes. It is free of fragrances, yet you can be sure that it will keep your underarms smelling fresh all day long.
Bali Secrets Natural Deodorant
Using this deo will make your underarm fresh throughout the day, even when it is hot outside. It has a pure and vegan formulation, which is one of the reasons why it can address the sensitivity of your underarms. It does not contain baking soda, zirconium, phthalate, aluminum chlorohydrate, and other synthetic ingredients that could result in irritation. Instead, it has natural salt minerals, seaweed extracts, aloe vera gel, coconut oil, and essential oils, among other natural ingredients. There are also four scents that are available, including one variant that is unscented.
Nasanta Magnesium Deodorant
One thing that makes it unique is the use of magnesium as the main ingredient. The latter is known for promoting protein synthesis and muscle relaxation, among other benefits. It is 100% free of aluminum. There is also no alcohol and baking soda, among other ingredients that are known for causing underarm irritation. Lastly, if you are unhappy in any way with the use of this product, you can have it returned within 90 days and the manufacturer will issue an unconditional refund.
Underarmed Active Botanical Luxury Deodorant
If you are looking for an aluminum-free deodorant, this is another option that should be included on your list. It contains organic ingredients that are effective for detoxing the body. These ingredients do not only prevent further damage but can also reverse the damage that has already been caused by chemicals. Two of its main ingredients are eucalyptus and lavender. With therapeutic-grade essential oils, it also has a light scent to make the underarms feel fresh. Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a 30-day satisfaction guarantee for your peace of mind.
Dove Sensitive Antiperspirant Deodorant
The brand name in itself should be more than enough for you to trust the effectiveness of this product. As it is made by Dove, one thing that makes it different from most of the products listed in this post is that it contains ¼ moisturizing cream, which will leave the skin feeling softer. This deodorant can provide protection from sweat and odor for up to 24 hours. It is also unscented, making it perfect for those who despise deodorants with a strong fragrance. Plus, it contains 0% alcohol. This makes it easier for the underarm to recover from irritation that could be possibly caused by shaving.
Secret Clinical Strength Soft Solid Sensitive Unscented Deodorant
Because this deodorant has a clinical strength formulation, it is effective in preventing excessive sweating for up to 48 hours, making you feel fresh longer. Compared to a regular antiperspirant deodorant, it is capable of offering as much as four times better sweat protection compared to most deodorants. It has odor-fighting capsules to make sure that you will not end up stinking. It has been tested even by doctors and proven that it will indeed be effective.
Primal Pit Paste All-Natural Unscented Deodorant
This non-GMO, paraben-free, and aluminum-free deodorant will not hurt even sensitive skin while being able to offer the highest level of protection from sweat and body odor. It has natural ingredients that can neutralize odor. Some of its main ingredients include shea butter, arrowroot powder, beeswax, coconut oil, and non-aluminum baking soda. Candelilla wax is also added, which helps in keeping the formula stable despite the hot temperature. All that you need is to apply it once and your underarms won’t sweat or smell throughout the day!
Kaiame Naturals 100% Natural Deodorant
This is a 100% natural and hand-crafted deodorant, which will be enough to provide you with the confidence that this will never cause an irritation to sensitive skin. It does not contain aluminum, parabens, phthalates, and GMO, among other harsh ingredients. One of the main components that you can find in this product is activated charcoal. This is the one that is responsible for the absorption of sweat and neutralizing odor that can be caused by the latter. Lastly, if you are not 100% happy with the product, you can get a full refund!
Dove Men+Care Sensitive Shield Deodorant Stick
If you are looking for an antiperspirant deodorant that is especially made for men with sensitive underarms, this will be an excellent choice. After all, it is made by a brand that you can surely trust. It offers powerful protection that lasts for up to 48 hours, which is one of the reasons why it is hard to rival. It also contains ¼ moisturizer, which is one thing that is common in Dove skincare products. Plus, it has a clinically-proven formula that guarantees its ability to fight skin irritation.
Crystal Deodorant Essence Roll-On
This is made by a company that is known for their line of natural deodorants. The effectiveness of this product can be attributed to the ingredients that are used. Two of its main components are chamomile and green tea. They are naturally-sourced. The deo does not contain aluminum chlorohydrate and similar chemicals that could irritate your sensitive skin. While it kills odor-causing bacteria, there is no strong scent or fragrance that could irritate the nose. It is also non-sticky, quick-drying, and does not leave white residues on your clothes.
How to Choose A Deo For Your Sensitive Skin
To help you out in making the right decision, here are some of the things that should be taken into consideration:
- Ingredients: The first thing that you have to do is to look at the ingredients that are used. It would be best to pick one that is made of natural ingredients, such as botanical extracts or essential oils. Avoid those with harsh ingredients, including phthalates and parabens.
- Fragrance: Choosing a scent is a matter of a personal decision. For most people, they prefer those with mild or delicate scent, nothing that is overpowering. If you have sensitivity with a strong fragrance, choose a deodorant that is unscented.
- Quick-Drying: It will also be good if the deo dries quickly upon application. This means that you can wear your shirt immediately and there is no need to worry that it will be wet on the part of the armpit.
- Sweat Protection: The deodorants for sensitive skin can offer sweat protection for 12 to 48 hours. A better choice would be one that protects the armpits longer, especially if you will be out for an extended period.
How to Prevent Underarm Odor
Underarm sweating is perhaps the most common cause of body odor. While the use of the right deodorant can help, this is not the only thing that you can do. That being said, below are some of the best ways to keep the underarm smelling fresh day and night:
- Having a daily shower is one of the best things that you can do. Regardless of how tired you are, a quick shower will help to fight underarm odor. It will also be good to use an antibacterial soap on the underarm.
- Choosing the right clothing will also help. Choose shirts that are made of thin and breathable fabrics, especially during the summer months. This will make you feel airy, and hence, will prevent sweating. If you are working out, wear clothes that can wick away moisture.
- It will also help if you will shave your armpit. The hairs in your underarm can be a conducive place for odor-causing bacteria to hide.
- Your diet is also one thing that can be blamed on why your armpits smell bad. Avoid eating foods with a strong scent as they could end up seeping through the pores, and hence, causing body odor.
- If all else fails, do not hesitate to consult with a medical professional who can provide advice on the best things that can be done to fight body odor.
Why is the Skin Under my Armpits Peeling?
Since we are already talking about deodorants, let us discuss one of the most common armpit concerns, especially amongst women – peeling of the skin in the underarm. The latter is not only uncomfortable but also unsightly. It will look like dark patches of chicken skin, which is why it is important to have it addressed effectively.
Among others, one of the common reasons for the latter is sensitivity to the deodorant that you are using. It may contain chemicals that can irritate the skin and cause it to peel. Dryness of the skin, sunburn, and shaving are other common reasons why the skin is possibly peeling.
If you have hyperhidrosis, it is also likely that your underarm skin will peel. The latter is a condition that is characterized by excessive sweating. One of the ways to resolve this would be through choosing a deodorant that will control the perspiration and make the armpits stay dry.
How to Whiten Underarms
It is also worth mentioning that if you have a sensitive skin and if you used a deodorant that contains harsh or strong chemicals, your armpits will end up being dark. This can be problematic for women. You might end up hesitating to wear sleeveless tops. With this, below are some practical solutions that can prove to be effective:
- Lemon is a great natural cleanser with acidic properties that will work like the commercially available whitening products. All that you have to do is to rub it on your underarms before you hit the shower.
- Another effective natural underarm whitener is baking soda. It acts as an exfoliant, which will be effective in getting rid of dead skin cells that can cause the armpit to have a dark color. Mix baking soda with water and rub it on the armpit about four times in a week.
- A lot of people may find this surprising, but a potato can also do the trick for underarm whitening. This is better than lemon because it won’t burn the skin since it is not acidic. It is a natural bleach and has the ability to fight skin irritation.
- Using olive oil and brown sugar will also be an effective way to lighten dark underarms. Olive oil is a potent source of antioxidants and can also provide hydration to the skin. Brown sugar, on the other hand, is an exfoliant.
A deodorant can do a lot to fight body odor and keep your armpit looking at its best. Nonetheless, not just any deodorant will work, especially if you have sensitive skin. To be guaranteed that you won’t end up suffering from irritation while being able to fight sweating, keep an eye on the products that we have mentioned above.